One of the discussions we have been having in the live jamming session is why (if) artists are special. Special as in weird, gifted, talented, egotistic... Special in all sorts of positive and not-so-positive ways.
In my view, what fosters creation is a feeling of discomfort with the world around you. There's something that doesn't quite tick right for you, so you need to make sense of it. Artistic processes are a great way to make sense of the discomfort, to air frustration with what we feel as unfair, and also to earn some self-assurance when you get the feeling you're not "normal" (and maybe you shouldn't be, the world being as crazy as it is).
Artists' discomfort represents an extreme position of what most people feel in one way or another at some point of their lives, and that's probably why so many people feel they are touched but some works of art, even if they can't say why.
So, there is a personal, unique side to the artist, but also a universal disagreement with (some aspects of) society.
It is people who don't feel comfortable with the world who try to change it. What would be point to change something you feel good about? So, artists are bound to be an unavoidable (necessary?) part of change, by showing the community what's not working. When enough people share the discomfort, social change is inevitable.
This would be the making of the "we": hey, you who feel as uncomfortable as I do with this, do you want to join me and do something about it?
Most people are not uncomfortable enough to bother to try change (it’s easier to just put up with things as they are), but won’t actively oppose change either, they can see how it would benefit them. And then there’s those who have it really good the way it is (powerful, rich people) and will use everything in their power to make you shut up and put up. So A LOT of people is necessary to make change effective, when 1% of humanity concentrates most of economical, political and military power and doesn’t want things to change at all, even if things aren’t looking that good for the other 99%.
So maybe a way to join forces is to remember we are a part of this very common 99% of people, as special (and weird, and queer, and talented, and awkward) as we might feel. And to remind it through our art to those who don’t really feel that comfortable after all: hey, you’re not a part of the really privileged 1%, are you? Why would you accept their violence, their injustice, their rules? Come change the world with me. Let’s make a WE as big as we can. Because the real “other”, the real “they” is only 1% of humanity. Let’s not forget that.